Sunday, March 21, 2010

THE POWER OF ONE
I knew little about the Chinese; I knew nothing of the rape of Nanking. That began to change in 1983 when I enrolled in decent training at Angel Island State Park. Our first day was at the former Immigration Station where Pacific Rim immigrants first experienced the United States of America. I learned that for the Chinese it was far from the "land of the free". Detained for weeks even months, many endured repeated interrogations, discrimination, and isolation. They left their poignant and angry stories in poems carved into the walls of the barracks.
Along with the facts of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 I was introduced to the feelings by Paul Chow, Chinese American activist who over the years relentlessly marshaled community forces to not forget the dark past and to restore the Immigration Station. Paul was passionate and charismatic. In his zeal he reminded me of my own father, an immigrant from Romania who became a Baptist minister. Both were evangelistic.
Paul told us of his childhood. His parents and grandparents had come through Angel Island. At Thanksgiving; he asked his mother "Where did we come from? Where is our Plymouth Rock?" Forefinger to lips, she whispered "Angel Island-shhhh!" For many years he thought that was all one word. Too much of China's history has been shushed up.
When I became a decent, the Immigration Station was my favorite site for historical interpretation. I was fascinated by the history that I had known so little of. I volunteered regularly and led tours for the general public, special interest groups, and student of all ages. I had the privilege of meeting former immigrants when they returned after many years. I developed the persona of Katherine Maurer, the .dedicated Methodist deaconess who served as a social worker. She helped ameliorate the harsh bureaucracy and (an immigrant herself) conveyed the best of American goodwill and helpfulness. She was known as the Angel of Angel Island; many Chinese called her Kwan Yin for the
Goddess of Mercy. Clad in a black dress, cloak and bonnet, I am proud to portray this power of one.
What an amazing chapter of "Americans all, Immigrants all"! When Iris Chang's book The Chinese in America came out, I read it eagerly. She wrote so eloquently of the immigrant story - early aspects and on-going repercussions. It helped to integrate much of what I had learned. My tours became more informed and I stressed the many contributions that Chinese Americans have made and how they have enriched our lives. At historic Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, on my docent tours I included the family of Yee Ah Tye (Bury My Bones in America) with their proud history of civic leaders. The six sons of Rose Ah Tye served in the US military in World War II.
When Iris came to Marin on her book tour, I attended. How she sparkled! I gave her a copy of "Island: Poetry and History of Chinese Immigrants on Angel Island, 1910-1940" Angel Island had led to my interest in Chinese immigration - to her recent book - then, the Rape of Nanking.
I was horrified. Why didn't I know about this before? How could such an event have taken place? I was enlightened by her detailed accounts and explanation of how it had been covered up and ignored. I admired Iris Chang even more as a writer, woman, and stimulus for the world's conscience.
For me, she helped to make some sense of the tragedy. She spoke to the individual and collective psychologies of both the Chinese and Japanese people. And with all the bad that happened, she chronicled the good in the actions of the members of the foreign community who helped the Chinese people. The power of the heroic few.
The poems on the walls of the detention barracks on Angel Island remind us of the common human condition - the desire for freedom and a better life; the love of family and nostalgia for country. Iris Chang, too, has left a written legacy. Her words reverberate over time and will not be stilled.
Pebble dropped in pond
Concentric circles spreading
Where will it all end?

Silvia Lange 2006

74 entrants made it into semifinalists out of 290 contestants and you are one of the semifinalists. Your essays will be posted on our website in the future.
Iris Chang Memorial Essay Contest Committee POB 641324
San Jose, CA 95164

No comments:

Post a Comment